Tax Numbers and Permits


Depending on the type of business and industry you are in, or the location/municipality, your business may require various licences and permits from different levels of government. You will be required to obtain all required licences and permits in order to provide day to day services.

Carswell Legal Solutions will contact the appropriate government office, or the municipal or regional offices, to find out if your business requires any special licensing. If your industry has an association or support group, we will often provide information relating to any special requirements for your particular business.

Tax Numbers

Upon incorporation, the Government will automatically send the information to the Canada Revenue Agency in order for you to obtain your Business Number (BN). A business number is a 9-digit number assigned by the federal government to allow your business to register accounts with the Canada Revenue Agency, such as an HST account, Payroll account, Import/Export Account, WSIB Account.

We will assist you in obtaining the following accounts*:

  • HST Account - most companies with taxable sales of more than $30,000 over any four or fewer consecutive calendar quarters, must register for and collect the Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) in Ontario. All taxi and limousine operators must register for HST regardless of their revenues.
  • Payroll Account – you must apply if you will have employees and are paying salaries and/or wages.
  • Import/Export Account - If you import goods into Canada or export goods to other countries, you should register.
  • WSIB Account – to provide workplace insurance coverage for all employees where applicable

*Account types may vary by province.



How to Order



Need Support? Questions?

Need Support? Questions?
Call us. We're here to help.

Request a Demo

Request a Demo
See how our services can enhance your productivity.

Sign up
Stay in the loop and sign up for our newsletters.